Thursday, July 27, 2017

The Nor'easter Lobster Roll: Boone's Fish House & Oyster Room

This post is waaaaay overdue and my apologies for being such a slacker. But it's getting really hard to get excited about writing a review on a bad lobster roll. And I seem to be on a current streak of sub par rolls. It's a tiny bit depressing.

This particular roll depressed me because overall I love Boone's Fish House & Oyster Room... I think most of their food is delicious and the location is on point. Their top deck on a beautiful sunny day is a spot I could park myself for a whole afternoon. (But don't forget your sunscreen because there's not an umbrella to be found!)

The Boone's lunch menu boasts three lobster rolls to choose from:
SHOAL COVE LOBSTER ROLL // knuckle + claw meat, mayo, lemon, shredded iceberg, grilled hot dog roll • $24.95 
NOR'EASTER // knuckle + claw meat, warmed in butter, grilled hot dog roll • $24.95 
COW ISLAND LOBSTER ROLL // pound and a quarter lobster, mayo, lemon, shredded iceberg, grilled hot dog roll • $30.95
I got the Nor'easter. Mainly for its lack of greenery.

Now that I look back, I wonder if it was even a good idea to order a lobster roll. Why didn't I just stick with my first choice? I would've been so happy with the fried scallop BLT. Or even a nice piece of haddock with a side of crispy brussel sprouts. But noooooo.... I had to get greedy. I see "lobster roll" on a menu and my mind goes all crazy and my eyes get big and I can think of nothing else.

First, let's talk about the "knuckle + claw" meat. WHAT? Back in the day, I would've jumpy clapped at the idea of just knuckle and claws because it took me a while to warm up to the texture of the tail meat. Hell, I didn't even like lobster until I was in my 20s. Crazy, right? I started small with the claws and worked my way up to the tail. So I'm by no means anti-claw.

This lobster roll was not good. There were some pieces of claw meat that almost looked chalky when I bit into them. How does that even happen? Overcooked? It grossed me out a little bit. If the flavor had been good, I probably could've overlooked the chalky claw ends... but, alas, the flavor was a disappointment too.

The best part of the lobster roll was the delightfully grilled bun and the side of very tasty, tangy potato salad. No really, that's the only nice thing I can say about the experience. To think this lobster roll is just about the same price as The Beach Plum. There's absolutely no comparison.

I often recommend Boone's for its location and food. I'll continue to do so... I'll just steer folks clear of the lobster rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment