Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Plum Crazy About This Lobster Roll: The Beach Plum

lobster roll, the beach plum
If you've been following this blog since the beginning, you know there aren't many lobster rolls that blow my socks off. Just a couple so far actually. Until yesterday. I took a trip south of the border – you know, New Hampshire – to a little ice cream stand in North Hampton called The Beach Plum. Two different people recommended this place in the span of a week so I figured I owed it to myself to go!

The menu goes a little something like this:

Premium Hard Shell Lobster Rolls
• 6 oz –– $17.99
• 8 oz –– $21.99
• 10 oz –– $25.99

Foot Long Rolls
• 12 oz –– $33.99
• 16 oz –– $41.99
• 20 oz –– $49.99

This menu made me giddy with all the different sizes to choose from. No fancy flavors or added accoutrements, just a bun and a lot of lobster. You're probably thinking to yourself, she got the biggest one they sell. I'm not going to lie... I thought long and hard about it. But I decided not to be piggish and went with the 10 oz. I also don't need to go bankrupt (or gain 300 pounds) over this stupid obsession so the 20 oz may have been a bit much. Plus I'm fine with $25.99 for a lobster roll but I would have a hard time forking over $50 even if it is the size of Texas.

I can honestly say, in all my years eating lobster rolls, I don't think I've ever had a roll with THAT much lobster in it. I mean you see the picture, right? It was borderline obscene. I stared at that thing like a kid ogling the loot Santa left on Christmas morning. It was beautiful and mouth-watering. All lobster, no filler. I mostly stared at it trying to figure out how I was going to fit the damn thing in my mouth.

Let's talk about the lobster. The Mainer in me thinks no other state can properly cook or serve lobster like we can. I know it's small of me... especially since New Hampshire is so close... but let me tell you, I was so wrong. The lobster in this sandwich was cooked flawlessly... and the chunks were the ideal size. And there was the perfect amount of mayo – just enough to hold the roll together without making me want to punch someone in the face.

Usually one of the first things I notice about a lobster roll is its bun. I seriously didn't even think about the bread until I was about three-quarters of the way done. That's how mesmerizing the lobster was. Once I did stop to think about it a minute, I realized that split top roll was deliciously buttery and superbly grilled (like the outside of a perfect grilled cheese.) Add some potato chips and a freshly brewed ice tea... I was in heaven.

The Beach Plum has three locations – in Portsmouth, North Hampton and Epping. So if you're down that way looking for a place to nosh, please give this place a try and then tell me what you think. The people are super nice and the food is yummy. And if you still have room after your lobster roll, they'll serve you an ice cream the size of your head!

I will have dreams about this lobster roll. And I will return for another before the summer ends.

1 comment:


  1. Thanks for visiting The Beach Plum! We appreciate it! Lorraine/director of marketing

    ReplyDelete