Sunday, August 6, 2017

Falmouth Lobster Roll: Foreside Tavern

I should've written this review weeks ago but I just couldn't bring myself to put pen to paper... or fingers to keys might be more accurate. The Foreside Tavern on Route 1 in Falmouth is not a restaurant I associate with lobster rolls and when I saw it on the menu, I briefly considered ordering, but then moved on to nachos... or something equally as hard to screw up. But then my two dining mates both declared they would be having the lobster roll. Maybe it was peer pressure but I caved, threw caution to the wind and ordered it.

Boy, was I sorry. This was probably the worst lobster roll I've had so far this year. I feel like I was drawn in by the promise of brown butter (and not wanting to be the only one at the table not eating a lobster roll), but I should've been scared away by the brioche.
LOBSTER ROLL
Brown Butter, Brioche
MKT
The brioche bun was... distracting. It was grilled (yay) but it was SO bready that I couldn't actually taste the lobster (boo). To remedy the situation, I had to tear off about two inches of the bread and push the remaining lobster into what was left of the bun so I could taste the lobster. This might have been mistake number two.

The lobster was served warm with brown butter. I've only had a couple of lobster rolls where the lobster was served warm and I've come to the conclusion I prefer my lobster cold. If not prepared correctly when warming it up, guess what happens? The lobster dries out. Bleck! And what they called "brown butter" wasn't very flavorful and just made the lobster look dirty.

At one point, I started to think maybe I had consumed so many lobster rolls this summer that my taste buds had become lobster snobs so I asked my lunch dates if it was just me or was this roll not great. They both agreed with me so this is not me or my taste buds being picky.

Sadly, for the first time this summer, I didn't finish my lobster roll. The bread to lobster ratio was too high and I ended up eating the last few bites of lobster meat out of that dreadful roll because I wasn't about to leave lobster behind no matter what! The price was listed as Market and I don't actually know what they were charging, but whatever the price, I'm sure it was too much. Stick to the regular menu items here... it's not a bad place, just not the right place to for this particular meal.

After reviewing four consecutive sub par rolls, I'm looking forward to telling you all about some great ones so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment