Sunday, June 11, 2017

Commercial Street Lobster Rollin': Gilbert's Chowder House

Located on Portland's Commercial Street, Gilbert's Chowder House has been a waterfront fixture for as long as I can remember. You know... with me being so old and all. I haven't been there in years but what I do remember about them is the really awesome seafood chowder. This time I went there specifically for the lobster roll...naturally. My first one at this particular establishment.

They offered just one choice:
Maine Lobster Roll.... $16.95
(served with chips and a pickle)

My excitement over this lobster roll was pretty low which makes me realize that it's way more fun to write about a sandwich that you love than one you just feel meh about. I mean the lobster itself tasted okay – it was properly cooked – but it appeared to be all claw meat. If there was some tail in there, it was hard to find buried under all the claws. I also didn't go digging around for it.

The mayonnaise level was high. If you're going to put mayo on a lobster roll, you should add just enough to make someone wonder if it's even actually there. It needs to be lightly dressed... this one was definitely not lightly dressed. There were blobs even.

On the plus side, the bun was traditional, toasted and tasty. Sorry guys but the bread alone can't carry the lobster roll. The price was one of the cheapest I've seen this year. And Gilbert's also has a great little outdoor seating area with plenty of tables. The view is great if you're facing in the direction of the Portland Waterfront. (Otherwise, you're just looking at the building or the parking lot!)

Overall, it was a pretty lackluster lobster roll experience. But if you ask my lunch date, she'll tell you the seafood chowder is to die for so don't rule them out all together! Even I'll go back for the chowdah!

No comments:

Post a Comment