Monday, June 26, 2017

Bob's Killer Lobster Roll: Bob's Clam Hut

Located on Route 1 in Kittery since 1956 – long before that stretch became a mecca for outlet shoppers – Bob's Clam Hut appears in just about every collection of "must have" lobster rolls in Maine. And for good reason. Holy crap... for good reason. I've only been to Bob's one other time and for some unfathomable reason, I failed to have a lobster roll. I must have been delirious or brain dead or something.

The menu offers two lobster roll choices and I'll give you one guess on which one I ordered.
Lobster Roll................. $19.95
Jumbo Lobster Roll.... $23.95
If you guessed Jumbo Lobster Roll, you are correct! If you've been loyally following along this journey, you've come to expect one thing from me – go big or go home! When I ordered the Jumbo, I wasn't quite sure what I was going to get. Some might just add extra lobster meat and call it a jumbo... but this jumbo lobster roll was in one of those extra long hot dog buns that made me squeal just a little bit when they passed it to me at the takeout window.

When I extricated this lobster roll from its cardboard container, I was pleased to see that golden brown grilled bun exterior. I thought to myself... if this bun isn't grilled to absolute perfection, it's going to be a real shame because this lobster roll just looked so mouthwatering! And if we've learned anything from this blog, it's that the bread really impacts my experience. Thank you, good people of Bob's for not disappointing me.

So let's talk about the lobster meat... oooh the lobster meat. It was cooked exquisitely with that briny, ocean-y flavor that makes me almost a little giddy. Granted it has been twelve days since my last lobster roll and I was starting to have withdrawals so I may have been extra excited about this lobstery treat! But it was faultless... optimum chunk size, and like The Beach Plum's roll, just enough mayonnaise to hold the whole thing together. And not a piece of lettuce in sight.

If you're looking for an ocean view, you'll be disappointed. Bob's is nestled amongst the outlet stores on busy Route 1 so be prepared to fight a little traffic if you go on the weekend. They offer indoor seating and a ton of outdoor tables – with umbrellas and lots of shady spots for enjoying your snacks on a hot summer day. The employees are amazing and polite and helpful and a couple of them even offered us a free ice cream (which we didn't turn down, naturally!)

Next time you head down to Kittery for some retail therapy, make sure to check out the lobster roll at Bob's Clam Hut – I think it will make you pretty happy! (I hear they make some pretty good clams too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment