Monday, July 22, 2019

Fort Popham Lobster Roll: Spinney's Oceanfront Restaurant

When someone says to you on a hot, sunny July 4th weekend, "Hey, let's go up to Popham Beach!" The correct answer is no freaking way! That place gets crowded on a non-holiday weekend so you can imagine the number of bodies sunning themselves on this particular day. With the State Park full, we parked in the lot at the old Percy's location and made our way to the small strip of beach at the mouth of the Kennebec River – a popular spot for striper fishing and our main purpose for the trip.

The advantage of this part of the beach is its close proximity to Spinney's Oceanfront Restaurant that sits just steps from the sand, and I had my eye on a lunchtime lobster roll. Spinney's is a cute place with both indoor and outdoor seating overlooking the beach, and a takeout counter popular for ice cream. After waiting my turn in the stifling, unairconditioned space, I placed my order to go.

Lobster Roll (4 oz, 100% meat)...... $19.95

100% meat? What the hell else would be in there? This statement confused me. 100% meat tells me they're not adding stupid things like lettuce. Liars. I don't see the purpose of that one flimsy piece of lettuce except to keep my lobster from falling out of the bottom of the bun should it break in half. I appreciate the concern but I'd rather take my chances.

So about that bun. There are two types of hot dog rolls. The traditional, New England style split top roll and the wrong one. Can you guess which one this lobster roll was in? The beauty of the split top roll is the ability to butter and grill the outside of the bun to golden brown deliciousness. My lobster roll came in the incorrect roll – complete with it's puffy, ungrillable sides and sadly toasted inside. My disappointment continued to build.

This lobster roll had one final chance to redeem itself before I fed it to the seagulls – the 100% meat. I can confirm, it was definitely all lobster and it was tasty. The well-prepared mix of claw and tail meat was salty, fresh and lightly dressed with mayo.  Four ounces isn't a ton of meat for twenty bucks – even if it IS 100% – but that seems to be the norm these days any place that isn't on  Route 1 in Wiscasset.

The day was filled with half wins. Tasty lobster in the wrong roll. A couple of stripers on the hook but sadly none long enough to eat. A crowded beach yet we didn't murder anyone. If you happen to be up that way, I'd give Spinney's a try. Maybe you won't mind the puffy hot dog roll...

No comments:

Post a Comment