Saturday, July 27, 2019

Corea Lobster Roll: Lunch on the Wharf

So much fun has happened in the past couple of days that I'm not even sure where to begin. I realize this isn't a blog about my life so I won't go on and on about how we spent the night at Gull Cottage at the Prospect Harbor Lighthouse and how our bedroom looked right out at the lighthouse and how the sound of the waves crashing outside the window was the best sound in the world. But I do plan to go on and on about the lobster roll I had in the neighboring village of Corea.

Lunch on the Wharf is located, well, on the wharf in the quaint little fishing harbor of Corea located not far from Acadia National Park's Schoodic Peninsula. When you arrive at this place, the first thing you notice that it's essentially a food stand that smells delicious! The menu is pretty diverse but simple with offerings for both the lobster lover and someone in the market for a hot dog.

Lobster Roll with mayo........... $19.95

I placed my order, took my number and secured a table on the large wharf overlooking some serious Maine scenery. The presentation of this lobster roll is nothing to write home about. It comes in its little cardboard holder with a bag of chips. Simple, no-frills. Just the way I like it. And also... a very important tip if you decide to head up here for lunch (it's not open for dinner), it's BYOB. I will say that an Orono Brewing Fruitful pairs quite nicely with lobster!

I'd like to say something really clever about this roll but the only thing that keeps coming to mind is, "Holy shit." It wasn't biggest and it wasn't overflowing with lobster meat, but holy shit, this thing was absolutely delicious. Sometimes I think it's harder to write about the good ones because what else can I say except, well, holy shit? It gave me very little to grumble about.

It checked all the boxes... Perfectly buttered and grilled traditional split-top bun ✔ Loads of lobster meat with with a nice mix of tail, knuckle and claw meat in nice bit sized pieces ✔ Sweet and salty lobster so fresh you know it was probably caught that morning and surely steamed in ocean water ✔ Lightly dressed with mayo with a little butter on top which is absolute perfection ✔  No additional crap like lettuce or celery ✔ Great views of the harbor ✔

If I have to be my usual critical, difficult self and voice one complaint, it would be for the $19.95 price. But lately, that seems to be the going rate just about everywhere. I need to get over that. Ok, I'm over it.

3 comments:

  1. Actually it’s $17.95,holds 4 oz of lobster meat.lobster dinner is $19.95.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Wharf Gallery and Grill.
    Definitely the best lobster roll.
    And let's not forget Corea and the view

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's absolutely delicious! And, you can get a side with it.

    The best by far in the State of Maine!

    ReplyDelete