Sunday, September 16, 2018

Harpswell Neck Lobster Roll: Estes Lobster House

Harpswell, Maine is one of those towns I just love to explore but don't get there enough. Seems that whenever we find ourselves up that way, we always hang a left and head to Orrs Island – pulled by the promises of great food (especially the lobster rolls) and amazing desserts at Morse's Cribstone Grill.

So this one Saturday, my lobster roll hunting co-pilot for the day suggested we explore some of the hidden gems of Harpswell – and who am I to turn down that kind of adventure? I would love to tell you all about those hidden gems, but then the secret would be out and, well, if you don't know about them already then you'll just have to use your imagination. But you know... exploring off-the-beaten-path beaches really works up an appetite!

Estes Lobster House is a place I've probably passed a dozen times in various trips to this part of the state but never stopped. It's literally on a strip of Harpswell Neck Road that might be 100 feet from water on one side to water on the other side. It's a great location with a spectacular view and it's been around since 1947! The restaurant is situated so that if you're sitting outside on the patio in the evening, you'll (hopefully) be treated to a stunning sunset.

Estes has been on my mental list of places to try a lobster roll so I figured, hell, I'm already here... let's give it a shot. The menu describes their offering... Fresh Lobster Roll - Hand-picked lobster meat lightly mixed with mayo on a toasted oversized roll.
(Comes with fries OR coleslaw) $20.99

The first red flag was "toasted oversized roll." This scared me just a tiny bit because, to me, that phrase just screams "brioche!" And just because I had ONE good experience with the brioche style roll, I'm not all in (or even really partially in) on these doughy monsters. Strike one... this thing was so bready and giant, I wanted to cry. Just look at the picture and tell me you don't think that is just waaaay too much bread.

Ok... next step... let's see how the lobster tastes. It was lightly dressed with mayo so that's nice and the lobster tasted pretty good. Unfortunately, there just wasn't enough of it to overtake the bread. And as I got to the end, there were some pieces of my lobster that tasted a slightly slimy which made me gag just a little. Maybe that was a result of the heavy ratio of claw meat in the roll? I dunno... it was weird.  The coleslaw was great though...

A part of me wants to go back to Estes to try some fried seafood or something else on their menu. It's such a cool spot and the place is like a complete throwback inside... something tells me that they need another chance to impress me. So don't shun it just because the lobster roll wasn't great!

No comments:

Post a Comment