Sunday, October 8, 2017

Cribstone Lobster Roll: Morse's Cribstone Grill

The season for lobster rolls is sadly winding down and soon many on my list of places to try will be closed for the winter despite the unseasonably warm weather we've been having this October. I'm starting to feel as sense of urgency as I try to make it an even 30 lobster rolls for 2017. I need just three more!

For years, we made trips to the Bailey Island to visit Cook's Lobster House and every time, we drove right past Morse's Cribstone Grill. We talked about it, wondered about it but never stopped there until a few years ago. Now, this family-owned place that sits right on the water just across the famous (and world's only) Cribstone Bridge, is an annual pilgrimage. The people, the views, and the food have never disappointed us. And the desserts are some of my favorites!

Lobster Roll -- Fresh Maine lobster meat cooked and picked in house, mixed with a light amount of mayo and served in a butter & grilled Maine hot dog bun. Served with chips and a pickle.

Let's just get it out in the open right now... this lobster roll is fantastic! I can honestly say I have no complaints. It's traditional, it's stuffed, it's tasty, it's perfect. If this one turns out to be my final of the season, I'll be pleased to end on such a high note. (Although I'm not entirely ready to say goodbye to the crustacean crusade just yet!)

Morse's serves their lobster roll the right way – on a traditional New England split top roll that is perfectly buttered and grilled. I know, I know... I was just talking about that cheesy taco crisp shell that I claimed to want everything served in, but when it comes down to a traditional lobster roll, I can't deny that this is the preferred way.

The roll was stuffed full of beautifully cooked lobster meat. It was fantastically salty with just a touch of mayonnaise – it makes my mouth water just writing about it. I'm not claiming it's the most lobster you'll get, but there was enough to make the sides of the roll bulge and damn, it was so flavorful!

And the price is right too! For $16 you get the lobster roll with chips and a pickle. I added a side of coleslaw (which was just average and I probably didn't need)... but then finished off the evening with one of their amazing desserts - strawberry shortcake in a jar! *slurp* I've also heard from a pretty reliable source that they have some of the best blueberry pie around.

As far as I know, they're closing October 9th but definitely put this one on your list for next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment