Sunday, May 28, 2017

Beer + Lobster Roll = Heaven: Bite Into Maine

When most people think of heading to Bite Into Maine for one of their famous lobster rolls, they head out to Fort Williams Park in Cape Elizabeth, grab a seat overlooking the majestic Atlantic, and take in the sites of Portland Head Light. Yeah, I've done that.

For this visit to Bite Into Maine however, I chose to visit their new second food truck location at Allagash Brewing Company... because, duh... BEER!! When I heard this food truck would be stationed at Allagash every weekend this summer, I thought to myself, I bet this is what heaven is like. Beer and lobster rolls go together like peanut butter and jelly!

Industrial Way is one of my favorite stops for beer in Portland... and a flight at Allagash is always an adventure — this trip was no exception! One of the most forward thinking breweries in Maine, they always have something on the tap list that will surprise your taste buds and leave you wondering, how the hell do they keep churning out all these super amazing beers, one after another after another? It boggles my tiny little brain.

Allagash opens at 11am and while most people are still brunching at that time of the morning, the brewery is already filling up quickly with folks from far and wide enjoying a brunch time beer flight. And while I loved all the tap offerings I tried (House Beer, Little Brett, Golden Brett and Interlude), I did miss their White which to me is a perfect breakfast brew.

If you're in it for the scenery, you're better off going out to Fort Williams... but if your idea of the perfect lobster roll eating view is a flight of beer, you must pick this location! But enough about the beer (even though I could go on and on) and let's talk about the reason we're all here... the lobster roll!

There are a number of menu options at Bite Into Maine:
• Maine Style with light mayonnaise and fresh chives
• Connecticut Style with hot butter
• Picnic Style which includes a layer of cole slaw, hot butter and a dash of celery salt
• Wasabi mayo | Curry mayo | Chipotle mayo

I went with the Connecticut Style lobster roll. If I have to whine about something, can I just mention how much of a problem I have with the hot butter version being referred to as "Connecticut Style"? Nothing against the state, but I'm fairly certain they didn't invent the hot butter + lobster combo. Oh, and CT style lobster rolls are supposed to be served with warm lobster. So if my lobster is cold, what does that make it? Just a thought and totally open for discussion.

First, let me just talk about the roll... the roll was grilled to perfection. They didn't skimp on the butter giving it that golden brown color and flavor of the ideal grilled cheese (minus the cheese!) It wasn't over grilled or lightly grilled, it was just right. And there was no lettuce. I repeat NO LETTUCE! That part made me so happy!

Then there was the lobster. I don't know what to say other than it was flawless. Everything about it was absolute perfection. The freshness, the flavor, the appropriately sized chunks, the amount of lobster (although let's be serious here... you honestly can't put enough lobster in a roll that would satisfy my love for this damn crustacean.) The price was $17.95 — the going rate in the current lobster economy. This roll was so amazing, I completely forgot about the bag of chips I bought to go with it. Honestly, I think I was in a state of lobster roll euphoria.

All in all, it was a most enjoyable experience... the sun shone, the beer flowed and the lobster roll delighted. Not a bad was to spend a Saturday afternoon. And I'd do it again in a heartbeat and I suggest you do too!

No comments:

Post a Comment