Monday, August 12, 2019

Kennebunk Food Truck Lobster Roll: The Ocean Roll

Stationed on the corner of Route 1 and Ross Road in Kennebunk sits a food truck called The Ocean Roll. I had never heard of this joint until just this year – and evidently, this thing has been in operation for quite some time. So naturally, I had to do a little research. According to their website, they are the oldest food truck in the USA – originally it was a Boyertown Multi-Alloy Merchantman built onto a 1961 International Harvestor chassis. Almost one of a kind when new, this relic of the Cold War was commissioned by Maine Civil Defense as a Mobile Feeding Unit to service emergencies. This restored vintage food truck has just 11,000 original miles.

After having a few people tell me about it this year, I felt a little shame that I didn't have this food truck on my growing list of places to test out. I'm glad I made the trip south because it might be the most adorable food truck on the planet (despite its location bordering the bustling Route 1 where sometimes the cars are so loud, you can barely hear them call your name for your order.) But I get it... it's a high traffic spot and I'm not there for the view. I'm there for the grub!

So I ordered the Lobster Roll for $15.50. Good price for the peak of summer in southern Maine. I also requested a little side of butter to add to really spice 'er up (I know, crazy, right?)! I will mention that I was quite disappointed and made a bit of childish fuss when they asked if I wanted celery. GAH... gross. No. Throw it all away! Celery is the devil.

Upon receiving the above mentioned celery-less lobster roll, I gave it my usual once over. The traditional split-top hot dog roll was buttered and grilled to my specifications. The lobster wasn't busting out of the roll but it was tasty. The nice mixture of both claw and tail meat was lightly dressed with mayo and there wasn't a speck of stupid lettuce to be found. Oh and it comes with some tasty cole slaw too. Overall, The Ocean Roll puts forth a solid lobster roll that won't break the bank, y'all... go get one.

No comments:

Post a Comment