Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Webhannet Drive Lobster Roll: Wells Beach Lobster Pound

Oh man... Memorial Day Weekend... the official start of summer. And naturally, the official start of lobster roll season! Mainers have been struggling with the will to live this spring with below normal temperatures and buckets of rain, but the holiday weekend gave us a jolt of sunshine and warm temps for three consecutive days (with only a little rain mixed in for good measure, or to keep us on our toes.) I was heading out of town for a couple days so I felt the need to kick the weekend off with a lobster roll.

My destination: Wells Beach Lobster Pound. It was 72° when I left my house and I had grand visions of grabbing my roll and sitting on the retaining wall overlooking the water in front of the lobster pound. But as usual with this time of year, the ocean water temperature was so much colder than the air, keeping the temp a chilly 58° at the coast. Whatever, the view was still nice and it wasn't snowing so I call that a win.

I ordered my lobster roll the only way it comes - Lobster Roll - $16.99.

I was pleased with the initial appearance of my lobster roll.
Traditional split top roll... ✔
Acceptable amount of lobster meat... ✔
No stupid lettuce... ✔
Light mayo... ✔

The roll was toasted but not buttered and grilled. I never quite understand this approach since, for me, the state of the bread component is crucial. Of course, toasting is better than nothing but definitely second to buttery, grilled deliciousness.

Dressed with just a touch of mayo, the lobster meat tasted so oceany, it was clearly cooked in sea water. And the saltiness of the lobster made the mayo taste almost seasoned – I was so confused I actually had to back into the lobster pound to ask about it. Don't get me wrong, I really liked it. There's just something about being able to taste the ocean in a lobster roll that makes me so happy. I'm not saying it was perfect, but I definitely didn't want to throw it on the ground so that's a plus.

For you traitors non-lobster-roll-lovers, there's a bunch of other stuff on their menu - fried and otherwise. Also, I love a place that has those big, shallow lobster tanks so you can gawk at all the future lobster rolls crawling all over each other. There was one dude in that tank with a claw the size of my fist. It's not the most quaint looking place, but there's a pretty view and good lobster rolls... so if you're down that way, give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment