Sunday, September 10, 2017

Route One Lobster Roll: Day's Crabmeat & Lobster

Tucked along Route 1 in Yarmouth, Day's Crabmeat and Lobster sits on the banks of the Cousins River. I've driven by this place a gazillion times but this was the first time I actually stopped – having heard good things about their offerings. This particular Sunday, I had taken the dog over to Wolfe's Neck State Park for a little adventuring and was in desperate need of some sustenance so I swung in to see if they lived up to the hype.

Day's is a takeout window with outdoor seating out back that overlooks the river. It's not a bad little spot for being right on Route 1. I knew this was going to be a tricky feat to pull off with the leash of a less than agreeable bloodhound in one hand and my food in the other, but I was up for the challenge and I was hungry. The order is simple...

Day's Famous Lobster Roll.... market price
Day's fresh picked lobster, cut up and served on a grilled roll, with our without mayo and pickle.

The day I was there the market price was $14.99 which isn't a bad price at all! Once I got my roll and lemonade, the dog and I headed out back to find a picnic table away from the other diners so she wouldn't be tempted to make any unwanted visits to neighboring tables. I got all situated and ready to eat my lunch and realized I forgot my phone in the car and I needed to take a picture of this damn thing. So sadly, I ended up just eating in the car. Not very exciting for me or the dog.

Overall this lobster roll was okay... not fantastic, but not completely terrible. The traditional split top bun was nicely grilled and there was a good amount of lobster stuffed into it, but there was just too much mayo. The person who took my order never asked "with or without" mayo as it stated on the menu... I most certainly would've left the mayo off this one. Shame on me for not saying I didn't want the mayo. There were a few pieces of lobster that were a bit big and slightly too tough to easily bite through. But the price was right!

I'm not ruling Day's out for another visit. It's a cool little place and conveniently located and I'd really like to try it with no mayo... I think the amount of mayo on this roll was just too distracting. I think the next time I'll also visit sans dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment