Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Pine Point Lobster Roll: The Bait Shed

Bayley's Lobster Pound in Pine Point has been my go-to place for lobster rolls for over twenty-five years... basically, since I figured out I actually really liked lobster back in my early twenties. There was nothing better than stopping into the pound on my way to the beach to get one for lunch. The price was always so reasonable, the lobster roll huge. It's what summer is all about!

One summer, picnic tables appeared on the dock... order your roll and head out to sit on the dock overlooking the Scarborough River. And in 2012, they added a full-service bar and wait staff and The Bait Shed was born. A lot fancier than what I was used to, but I'm not afraid of change. It does get packed in the summer with its limited number of tables, but I always thought it was worth the wait.

This summer, I didn't visit The Bait Shed until after Labor Day. We decided to make a trip one gorgeous Wednesday afternoon in a really cool convertible! The low humidity, cooler temps and bright blue sky made it the perfect day for such a spot. And the Travel Channel just happened to be there filming an episode of Food Paradise so that was pretty cool.

Lobster Roll
house slaw • chips • pickle

While I'm usually a traditionalist when it comes to lobster rolls, I've always been a fan of the larger, more sub-like roll that The Bait Shed uses. Back in the day, you didn't get the option to have it toasted like they do now and it was still delish! However, this time I was slightly disheartened when my roll arrived in front of me. The bread to lobster ratio was lopsided making the roll look big and bready. It was very upsetting – we all know how I feel about high bread, low lobster content.

Our chariot for the day: 1941 Ford Super Deluxe
I stared down at a lobster roll that I have used as my standard for so long and felt a range of emotions highlighted by sadness. The lobster meat looked sparse in the oversized roll. But despite the insufficient amount, the lobster was some of the best tasting meat I've had all summer. The light mayonnaise didn't mask the natural flavors of the lobster – sweet and salty and delicious. If that lobster hadn't been as tasty as I've always remembered it to be, I probably would've burst into tears right there at the table.

The lobster roll comes with chips, cole slaw, and a pickle and has a very reasonable $17 price tag. There's a full bar and the Jones Creek lemonade is quite tasty and comes with your own collectible glass. The beer selection is fair but don't expect a wide range of craft brews. And on a nice day, you really can't beat the spot!

No comments:

Post a Comment