Sunday, August 13, 2017

Perfect Lobster Roll Heaven: McLoon's Lobstah Shack

I think if I had to pick my favorite spot of the summer so far, it's McLoon's Lobstah Shack on Spruce Head Island in South Thomaston. When you hit the end of Island Road, you're treated to one of the most beautiful little spots – we were definitely blown away by this view. The family owned McLoon's is a small shack with a takeout window with the area's oldest working lobster wharf just next door. So you know these salt water critters have got to be the freshest!

The day we visited was picture perfect with a nice breeze and low humidity and thankfully McLoon's wasn't overly crowded. There's no actual indoor seating but they do have a tented area along with a selection of picnic tables with umbrellas and some without. We snagged the best spot they had to offer... a lone picnic table with an umbrella just to the right of the shack about as close to the water as they'll let you get. It's one of the few times I've found it acceptable to sit on the same side of the table as my fellow diner. But that view... there was no way you could sit with your back to it!

On this particular afternoon, McLoon's was the second of three lobster roll stops. When I told this to the girl who waited on me, she assured me theirs would be the best. The order here is simple...
Fresh Lobster Roll – A generous portion of sweet and tender tail and claw meat in a perfectly grilled roll with your choice of mayo or warm butter (or both!) Served with coleslaw, potato chips, and pickle
This lobster roll was definitely nothing fancy or flashy – just good ol' fashioned deliciousness. The bun was buttered and toasted to a golden brown. Seriously, that bread couldn't have been more perfectly prepared. I hadn't even taken a bite yet but could already tell I had something special in front of me.

McLoon's doesn't lie in their description of the lobster. While there wasn't the obscene amount of lobster like Red's, it was definitely a generous portion and it was sweet and fresh and just friggin' delicious! The roll comes with light mayo or butter or both and for the first time, I opted for both. My taste buds and I were both completely happy with that choice. The price is one of the lowest I've paid this year and for $16 you not only get one of the best lobster rolls you'll eat but cole slaw, chips and a pickle too!

And in case you're interested, McLoon's is a BYOB joint so don't forget your cooler. I asked earlier in the season if the view makes a lobster roll taste better. Not that this one needed any help, but it certainly didn't hurt... and man it sure does make it hard to leave that spot! Especially with a cooler of good beer sitting at the best table they have to offer.

Depending on traffic, McLoon's is an hour and forty minutes to two hours from Portland and makes for an excellent day trip up the coast. If you're crazy like me... make a couple lobster roll stops on your road trip! They're kind of like Chinese food and after you eat one, you're hungry for another an hour later.

No comments:

Post a Comment