Sunday, May 14, 2017

Lakes Region Lobster Roll: The Fisherman's Catch

The Fisherman's Catch sits in a unique, A-frame building in Raymond which has been a feature on Route 302 since I was a kid. I think it's been close to a million different businesses and I knew it was currently a seafood place, but it wasn't until last summer that someone told me about their lobster rolls. Their supposedly amazing lobster rolls. I was skeptical -- I mean, it's not a stone's throw from the ocean so they couldn't be that great... could they? A silly assumption on my part. This lobster roll was amazing!

If you're looking for a great view, you'll be disappointed. Both the inside seating and outside picnic tables look directly onto busy Route 302. There's no rugged rocky coast or even idyllic lakeside setting. Nope, just traffic zooming by. If you're looking for a great lobster roll, you won't be disappointed.

When you order your roll, you can control both the bread and lobster dressing situation. This makes me very happy...

Roll:  Plain • Buttered & Grilled • Dusted Garlic
Lobster:  Classic (light mayo) • Buttered (no mayo, just butter) • Lemon (light mayo w/ lemon pepper) • Sweet (light mayo w/ relish)

If you've been paying attention so far, you can probably guess my choices. If you said Buttered & Grilled roll with Buttered lobster, you are correct. Butter, butter, butter!! My mouth watered in anticipation!

I found a little spot with a spectacular view of the road and waited to see what all the buzz was about. When the lobster roll was delivered to me, I actually said to the guy, "Wow... that's a lot of lobster!" There's so much lobster stuffed into that hot dog bun, they give you a fork. I stared at it a minute, not sure where to start. Some people might say it had too much lobster. Those people would be wrong. There is no such thing as "too much lobster."

The roll was as advertised -- grilled and buttered. The lobster was warmed and lightly buttered. Yes, you read that right, the lobster was warm. This was an unforeseen and pleasant surprise. I'm guessing they serve just the buttered option warmed since the folks next to me both had the light mayo and said their lobster was served cold.

The price wasn't bad - $18.95, but that was only for the lobster roll and didn't include any sides. If I had to complain about something, it would be that the lobster meat was chopped up too small. Nit picky, I know but the small pieces basically avalanched over the side of the bun with every bite I took! I'm not saying those little pieces didn't taste delicious... because they did. Just a smidge too small and uncooperative.

Despite the lack of coastal ambiance, I would definitely make a return trip for this lobster roll. And the great thing was it's only about 20 minutes from home... which could be dangerous!

No comments:

Post a Comment