Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Floating Restaurant Lobster Roll: DiMillo's

Let me just start this blog post by saying that I love DiMillo's. I mean, who doesn't love a floating restaurant? Where else can you eat your meal on a rough day and feel the restaurant moving under your feet? I very rarely have a bad meal... I think their lobster stew is second to none and if you haven't tried the fried scallop roll, you are missing out.

I also loved their lobster roll. Yes, I said loved. Past tense. I loved last year's lobster roll. I do not love this year's new lobster roll. I don't hate it but sometimes maybe just leave well enough alone.

LOBSTER ROLL
Served on a brioche roll with Boston lettuce and finished with brown butter aioli.
$21

I was genuinely excited to try this update. The brown butter aioli was intriguing until I realized it tasted no different than regular mayonnaise. But it was only drizzled on the top so no harm, no foul, I guess. The price is slightly higher than I like to pay... but it's not going to break the bank and you won't leave the table hungry.

The lobster itself was cooked perfectly with a nice amount stuffed into the roll. If the lobster is falling out onto the plate, that's a sign of quality lobster meat volume. Big chunks of chilled, melt-in-your-mouth crustacean are always appreciated. Other than the small amount of aioli on top, there was nothing else mucking up the meat. Well... except for that stupid, STUPID piece of lettuce. I don't care if it's Boston, Bibb or Butter, lettuce is useless under any name.

As much as I bitch about the lettuce, it's easily removable. The roll, however, is an important piece of this pie and can make or break the experience. This new "brioche" roll really crushed my spirit because I really wanted to love this sandwich. There's a crucial meat to roll ratio that if upset, can bury the taste of the lobster in a doughy grave. The brioche is difficult to properly toast also and the grill marks on the top of mine served absolutely no purpose. A perfectly toasted, buttery roll is key to the experience.

Overall, I didn't not enjoy this lobster roll, but I also probably won't be rushing back for another. And that honestly makes me sad. Looks like I'll have to stick with the lobster stew and scallop roll as my go-to menu items.

No comments:

Post a Comment